Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rotti koddel (Rotti sambar)

Rotti koddel in tulu or rotti sambar in Kannada, a snack palatable for both the young and the old! It is an age old item as I know that my grandma's mother-in-law was an expert in preparing this mouth-watering recipe. I came to know this fact from my grandpa. But I never tasted it till my marriage.As I understand my mother-in-law is an expert in this. Now I like rotti koddel the most. And I learnt it's preparation too!!

Ingredients:For 2 people.

For rotti:
Dosa rice - 2 cups
Grated coconut -1/2 cup
Salt to taste.

For Koddel (sambar):
Coriander seeds - 2 spoons
Jeera - 1 spoon
Urad dal - 1 1/2 spoons
Bengal gram dal -1 spoon
Red chilli - 5 to 6
Oil - 2 spoons
Curry leaves - 7-8
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Tamarind - Extract of tamarind of lemon size
Jaggery - 1 spoon
Salt to taste.

Preparation for rotti:

Soak the dosa rice in water for 8 hours. Mix grated coconut, little salt with soaked dosa rice and grind it in a mixie. Prepare a thick dough.

Now pour one big spoon of dough on a dosa pan. Prepare little thick dosas which will be like rottis.


Preparation for Koddel:

Take coriander seeds, jeera, urad dal, bengal gram dal, curry leaves and red chilli in a seasoning pan. Add 2 spoons of oil to it and fry till urad dal turns it's colour. Now grind all these contents with grated coconut in a mixie.

In a vessel pour 2 cups of water and add little jaggery, tamarind extract and salt. Let it boil for a 5 minutes. Now add above masala to the vessel and make it to boil. Add water if needed. Let it boil for 5-10 minutes.

Now for Rotti Koddel:

Prepare 10-12 rottis and cut them into pieces.

Put these pieces in Koddel(Sambar).

After sometime rotti will absorb koddel. Rotti Koddel is now ready for savour.



Try it and let me know your suggestions...




No comments: